Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Baby Bedding Quandary

So now that we know that our little "peanut" is a boy, we've been looking more closely at crib sets, since this seemed to be the most intuitive spot for us to start our nursery planning. Being the practical people we are, all along we've been drawn to bedding that has more neutral color schemes, with the expectation that we may be able to use the bedding for future kids (no matter their gender). Note: I had blue walls in my room growing up, so more masculine colors are definitely an option for both a boy or girl in my world.

So the bedding research started. I charged ahead, looking at all the normal baby bedding retailers - Target, Babies R Us, etc. but then quickly realized that I'm a little more picky than I thought. I like simple, non-themed (non-animal, non-boat, non-car) bedding, with stripes, circles, or shapes in them - something that is actually more difficult to find than I originally thought. So after searching the standard retailers, I turned to some of the more higher-end stores like Land of Nod and Potterybarn to see if my options would be expanded.

And then the bedding quandary began. I REALLY liked some of the bedding at the higher-end retailers (go figure!), but my pocket book didn't. $40 for a crib skirt is really hard to justify, when I won't even spend that much on my own bed skirt. Yet knowing the quality of the bedding, and the fact that the bedding could last through multiple kids, kept me, "Mrs. Practical," interested.

So our options? These are by no means our final choices, since I continue to research this stuff regularly. But we currently have it narrowed down to three bedding choices that we like from Target, Land of Nod and Potterybarn.

Keep in mind that our nursery is already painted a light khaki color (Gobi Desert to be exact) and the crib will be white. But check out our options below and let us know what you think. I've even hyperlinked the photos to go directly to each retailer's website, so you can see them in more detail.

Once you've picked your favorite, let us know what you think by taking the poll on the right side of the blog. Hopefully with your input it will help us determine the best bedding for our new nursery.



4 comments:

Pugh Family said...

I swear I didn't look at the prices after seeing the first set as to remain unbiased... But of course I chose the pricier bedding set. My vote goes for #3. Very neutral, understated and easy to match from. My second choice would be #1. Have fun choosing!! :)

Cale and Kim said...

the bedding quandary - so much fun! my vote is the same as jess - i really like 1 and 3. i'm with you - i'm finding i'm a ton pickier than i thought i was. all i really want is simple circles/dots/stripes, etc....very hard to find! you've made some great pics though! can't wait to see!

Anonymous said...

So at first glance I like the most expensive one as well...but then I looked at each one closely...went to the websites and looked at the different pictures. Then I decided on the Target one as best. Love the colors and looks really great. But the 3rd one is very nice...more neutral and would work for both genders. Another thought to ponder...if your children are close in age even two years you might still be using the first bedding, because some toddlers are still in a crib till 3 denpending on your parenting preference:) Happy Bedding Quandary!

June said...

okay. Here goes my opinion for what it is worth. When i think of something enduring for multiple children, i think . . . what is going to hide the stains the best, or hide wear and tear the best. So, i would tend to choose bedding that is NOT white and would choose a more patterned design than less. So, that said, i would probably go with the striped #2. I am alone here, i see, but speaking as one who never even had a nursery and had 4 kids. . . what do i know?