Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sing a New Song

I always told myself that I would not force my kids to like a specific hobby or put expectations on them to be an amazing _______ (insert the blank - doctor? pastor? professional ball player?). For all I know, CB will be a Dallas Cowboys fan instead of the Denver Broncos fan he really should be - and I have to be okay with that. :)

That being said, I'm sure that most kids pick up their interests from their parents - whether because of genetic skils or because they see their parent's passion. For us, it's passion (and some skill) around music.  Both Hubby and I have lived our lives surrounded with music - me with singing on stage since I was able to talk, and Hubby with his radio background. From day one we were singing to our little man, playing music and dancing around in the kitchen and it seems to us that our little man LOVES music too.

Now we're not going to force him to be an amazing musician, but we won't stop him either. He's going to see his mommy singing on stage and is involved, even now, when I practice playing piano and singing at home. He recently started to join in on playing and singing with me, though that sometimes makes me have to be a little more creative on the keys I'm hitting.


The Psalmist in the Bible even said that we should "Sing to Him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy." (Psalm 33:3). I can already see our little one living out the scriptures in his own little way - though he still has a little work to do on the "skillfully" part.


So for now, we'll continue to encourage and support music, and the many other interests CB shows us. I wonder how you encourage his interest in ceiling fans?

No comments: