Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Reshaping My Little One's Life

My kid is the best sleeper (knock on wood - if I believed in that sort of thing). 

From the day he entered our lives he's been super flexible with our schedules and has gone down for naps and bedtimes without many complaints. I know, for some of you parents out there, it's a dreamland to think that you could read a story, pray with your little one, kiss them on the head, and say goodnight without looking back. But CB has been that type of sleeper.

On the flip side, he's such a good sleeper that he's developed a flat spot on the back of his head. Nothing major, but enough of a concern that our doctor sent us to a specialist, who then prescribed him a STARband that will help his head round out.

How did his head get this flat? Our doctors assured us that we did everything we could to help CB not have a flat spot, but that his great sleeping habits really were what brought this on.  
CB waiting at the Dr.'s office.
How does the STARband work? CB went to the orthopedic clinic this past week to have his head measured. From those measurement they make him a customize band (or helmet, for lack of a better term) that he will wear 23 hours a day for 3 months. As his brain grows during those months, the band will hold into place the parts of his head that should stop growing (the front), and will keep open space available for his head to round out (in the back). 

With the amount kids are told to sleep on their backs to avoid problems with SIDS, I'm so thankful there is a solution out there that can help correct this easily and quickly.
CB waiting at the orthopedic office.

The head measuring machine at the orthopedic office.

I know it's silly, but this completely hit my pride when we first learned the news. Now, I don't consider myself a vain person. I know that the value of a person is found in Christ alone (Luke 12:6-7). But it's still hard not to wonder what type of looks or questions we're going to get from strangers as we walk around town with our little man. And whether people will think we're bad parents because of what he's wearing.

Now let me take a step back for a second. First of all, who cares what strangers think? Secondly, it's a silly little band he has to wear for 3 months. Things could be SO much worse. In fact, in the grand scheme of things, this is so minor compared to some of the life threatening things that he could be dealing with.

So I have a choice. I could choose to let my pride take over my thinking or I could choose to make a purposeful choice as a mom and fix my attitude. This is just one, in what will be, many instances where I will need to adjust my thinking to be an example and help CB have a  better view on life. It's not about shaping his head as much as it's about shaping his little heart, right?

So now with my correct view on the situation, I can say that I'm proud that my baby's an awesome sleeper. I'm thankful we have the opportunity to correct his flat head. And CB's going to rock his new band. We get the band in the coming week and once we have it, Hubby and I are going to try and make this a fun experience for our little peanut (maybe racing stripes on the sides? Or should he sport Cowboys and Broncos logos on opposing sides of the band?).

More to come, but know that just as CB's being molded and shaped into the person he suppose to be - so is his mom.

3 comments:

June said...

My vote is for the opposing team logos. :-) Kids have a way of exposing our areas of pride (most often unknowingly on their part and surprisingly on our part) and giving it a good solid kick to the forefront to be dealt with in a God honoring way. Will be praying for you all as God shapes Charlie's bones and your hearts and minds.

Cassie said...

I don't know why, but babies love the crinkle of the exam table paper.... it is irresistable, and tastes delicious.

Christine said...

First of all, I miss seeing you monthly! I do love checking in on you and your family, here! Some friends of ours' little guy had the head shaping helmet - I think it's pretty common! Anyway, you have such a great outlook. Charlie is so lucky to have you for a mom!