I'm super proud of Hubby. He has officially finished college and has his degree. Though he has had enough credits to get a degree for the past few years, it wasn't in one specific specialty, so going back to school was inevitable.
He's has spent the past year and a half working hard to complete his studies online through our college back in the Midwest. Studying online was the perfect scenario for Hubby, since he learns by reading and not by listening to an instructor. Perfect for him - but I don't know if I could have done it. His first semester alone, he ordered 40 books that he had to read for his classes. Wow!
It took a lot of sacrifice on his part to designate at least 1-hour a day to homework. Which also meant giving up his personal time to relax, be social and go hiking during the beautiful summer months.
To celebrate, I threw him an official college graduation open house - balloons and all. I wanted to honor his achievement but give him a chance to be recognized for all the hard work he's put in - especially since he balanced being a full-time student with being a full-time Hubby, father and so many other things.
For the party, I gave Hubby majority control of the menu. In true Hubby fashion his list included cheetos, oreos, skotch-a-roos and chocolate doughnuts. After receiving his menu wish list I added the grapes, carrots and turkey wraps, to insert some healthy options.
I would love to say that everyone swarmed the healthy food, but I'd be lying. The chocolate desserts and cheesy salty snacks were a hit! They were demolished with few leftovers available for me to snack on later. Who knew everyone would like this type of menu!?! My college-grad did!
To add to the festivities of having a true graduation open house, I created a fun guest book where people could write a little note on the "My 2 cents for the grad" note paper, roll it up and tie it with a string to make it look like a diploma. Then I put out a mason jar to collect the well-wishes. This wasn't my original idea - but thanks to the world wide web, I was able to feel creative and artsy for a second.

No comments:
Post a Comment